Geometry POL prep- Semester 1 Review:
1. One topic I feel that I have mastered this year is Pythagorean and Theorem. I learned this topic in 7th grade but I never really mastered it. One assignment I did this year that really helped me were the POWs (problem of the week. Below is an attached POW and two tests regarding pythag for evidence. In this POW, I had to do a write up. In the write up we had to follow a rubric. (rubric is on Aliza's page.) There were four sections to the rubric. The first is Understanding the problem. The second is process, then solution, and last, justification.
2. How have the exploratory helped me you ask? Well, in three ways. One, they help me better understand the subject in which Aliza is teaching. Two, they help me train myself to get papers in on time. I used to turn in lots of papers really late but now I turn them in as soon as I can. Third, they work as a study guide for when I forget something on a subject. In a year or more when I have forgotten all this stuff, I can go back and look at my work to understand it again. These explorations make my time being a math student more fun. I love worksheets and I love having a good challenge on my hands, just as long as it isn't to hard. These explorations help me learn because once we take a shot at solving all the problems, Aliza goes over the answers and help me better understand the work she is trying to get across. Below are two examples of an exploration and what they were teaching me.
3. The hardest problem I have ran into this year is the extra credit POW that Aliza assigned at the end of the first semester. (The problem is linked below.) I did not get the privilege of solving this problem but I am going to continue to chug away at it and try to solve it. (I will update my DP when I solve it.) The known factors in this problem are the lines: AD=3, AB=5, CB=3 DF=1, FG=2, and GC=2. Since I know FG is 2 then I just have to find lines FE and GE. I also know that AEB and FEG are similar triangles. I can not solve this problem because there is no way to use pythag to solve this problem. I have to use some rules for similar triangles and I don't know them so I can't solve it. I am, although, going to figure it out and learn them!
Problem Solving Skills-
1. I believe that I am best at communicating thinking in a clear and accessible way. I believe this because when I had to explain to some kids i my class on ow to do something, they got it every time. I am good at explaining my thinking in an easy to understand way that others are able to understand. Below is a piece of evidence about how I translate my thinking in a clear way.
2. I believe that I have room for the most growth in reflecting and synthesizing. When I have to do the justification, I am not really good at explaining how I know I'm right. I can explain the process but I am not able to justify just exactly why. I struggle with the last part on the POW write up due to my lack of skill for justification. Below is a POW that I did and could have done the justification better.